Old Recipes, Family Favorites, and New Recipes too!
If you know me then you know I usually bake and cook from scratch. However, occasionally, I find a "box" that I love and cannot match “made from scratch". This recipe is one of those; an old-fashioned favorite, this Pineapple Upside Down Cake is just as fruity and moist as when my Mom made it. Create one today, it is so easy and so delicious!
For the Cupcakes:
2/3 cup fresh or frozen whole strawberries (thawed if frozen) (plus 3 or 4 chopped to add to batter, optional)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , sifted
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 cup whole milk , room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter , room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg , room temperature
2 large egg whites , room temperature
For the Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, cold
5 tablespoons softened butter
tablespoons vanilla extract
(scant) two cups powdered sugar
1. To prepare the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°. Line a muffin tin with baking cups .
2. Purée strawberries in a small food processor; you should have about 1/3 cup of puree. Add a few more strawberries if necessary, or save any extra puree for the frosting.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla and strawberry puree.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
5. With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended. Stir in the chopped fresh strawberries if you decide to use them.
6. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
7. To prepare the frosting: Using a hand mixer, beat the top three ingredients together until well combined. Gradually add the powdered sugar as you continue beating the mixture. Lastly, stir in the strawberry purée.
8. When the cupcakes have cooled to room temperature, add the frosting.